CHARLOTTE, N.C. — It’s time for the second entry of ACCSports.com’s running diary from the ACC Kickoff. In part one, we heard from the likes of Lamar Jackson, Bradley Chubb and Jaire Alexander.
Later in the day, though, we spent time with Florida State and Boston College. Let’s dive in.
Derwin James, FSU
- James suffered a season-ending knee injury in the second week of the 2016 season. Now that he’s back, though, James is fired up, and says he’s even stronger than he was a year ago.
- In recent years the FSU-Clemson game has evolved into a marquee matchup; James said that isn’t the only game on Florida State’s schedule, though. He looks forward to playing Wake Forest, Boston College, too.
- Players that James grew up idolizing: Michael Vick, Chris Johnson and Deion Sanders.
- According to James, redshirt sophomore quarterback Deondre Francois is more poised and more comfortable this season.
Jimbo Fisher, FSU
- Fisher enjoyed having Derwin James and Deondre Francois in Charlotte with him. He believes it’s important to bring players to events like this: “All part of the learning curve.”
- Florida State opens the season up against Alabama, which is a highly-anticipated contest. Fisher is excited for the game, too, but aware that even a great team can hurt its resume with an early-season loss.
- Fisher is really impressed with the progress of Virginia Tech under now second-year coach Justine Fuente.
Harold Landry, Boston College
- When asked who he thinks is the league’s best player — Lamar Jackson or Derwin James — Landry answers Jackson. Landry mentions that he’s watched a ton of film on Jackson, and has played against him, too.
- Deondre Francois said that Landry is the toughest lineman he’s faced in the ACC.
- Landry said he relishes playing in high-leverage games: “I love big time moments.”
- Landry stated that the perception and excitement around the program has really picked up since last season’s bowl game — a win over Maryland.