Here’s the latest AP Top 25. I’ve added a few of my ACC-centric thoughts on it below.
|1. Alabama (56)||9-0||1,472||1|
|2. Florida St. (3)||9-0||1,418||3|
|3. Ohio St.||9-0||1,310||4|
|10. Texas A&M||8-2||909||11|
|11. South Carolina||7-2||857||13|
|12. Oklahoma St.||8-1||780||15|
|14. Michigan St.||8-1||633||18|
|16. Fresno St.||9-0||588||17|
|20. N. Illinois||9-0||396||22|
|21. Arizona St.||7-2||362||23|
OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:
Mississippi 68, Minnesota 20, Nebraska 16, Duke 11, Southern Cal 10, Washington 9, Ball St. 7, Virginia Tech 5, BYU 3, Notre Dame 2, Houston 1.
* I joked after Thursday night’s Stanford-Oregon game that I expected to see FSU fans storming the field in Palo Alto. The Cardinal’s defeat of the Ducks allowed the Seminoles to move up to No. 2 in the AP poll and to the same, coveted spot in the BCS rankings. That margin is pretty wide. It’s all in front of you, Noles. Win and you’re in. It’s fascinating to hear Ohio State fans complain about how folks are too down on the Big Ten and that this “bias” is weighing down the Buckeyes in the polls. Feels weird to not have an ACC team making that argument. But FSU has just been too dominant – and also has a nice win over No. 8 Clemson to point to – for anyone to question the Seminoles’ credentials at this point.
* The aforementioned Tigers have really helped FSU out by continuing to win. Now, if Clemson can get past South Carolina, the ACC would have an excellent shot at landing two teams in BCS bowls.
* Miami’s run was fun while it lasted, but that loss to Virginia Tech was eye-opening. Now you look back at Miami’s recent stretch – narrow win over UNC, narrow win over Wake, blowout loss to FSU and convincing loss to Virginia Tech – and wonder if maybe we all overrated the Canes. Still though, Al Golden’s bunch held on to a spot at the bottom of the Top 25.
* Yes, that’s Duke with 11 votes, in between Nebraska and Southern Cal. No additional commentary needed.
* And Virginia Tech has snuck back into the voters minds – or at least a few of them. The Hokies earned 5 votes this week.