Halloween is right around the corner and it’s also Spooky Season in the land of ACC Football. After a chaotic extended weekend of action, let’s dive in on this week’s ACC Football Power Rankings.
ACC Football Power Rankings
1. Wake Forest
- The Demon Deacons squeaked by Louisville on Saturday — thanks to a game-winning field goal from stud kicker Nick Sciba. Wake Forest ranks third nationally in special teams efficiency, per ESPN, with Sciba playing a big role: 1o-of-10 on field goal attempts this season.
— ACC Digital Network (@theACCDN) October 2, 2021
- Kenny Pickett is in the middle of a charmed season; the veteran quarterback is averaging 346.2 passing yards per game (No. 2 ACC) and 10.3 yards per pass attempt (No. 1 ACC), while throwing 19 touchdowns (No. 2 FBS) in five games to only one interception.
- According to Pitt’s SID: Pickett’s 15 touchdown passes over the last three games mark the most prolific three-game passing stretch in program history — usurping Dan Marino’s start to the 1981 season, when he threw 13 touchdowns in the opening three contests.
Kenny Pickett: 145.0 passer rating on 20+ yard throws this season
1st among Power 5 QBs 🥇 pic.twitter.com/FGGsHD4mAO
— PFF College (@PFF_College) October 3, 2021
3. NC State
- It wasn’t pretty at times, but an NC State program still riding high from the win two weeks ago over Clemson managed to hang on for a victory over Louisiana Tech: 34-27. NC State’s defense forced two turnovers; Ricky Person Jr. and Bam Knight combined for 175 rushing yards and two touchdowns on the ground.
- The Wolfpack now have seven interceptions on the season — tied for the most in the ACC.
- Clemson’s passing attack remains stuck in the mud, but the Tigers are an excellent defensive team — ranking fifth nationally in efficiency. During Saturday’s 19-13 win over Boston College, Clemson’s defense recorded four sacks and picked off BC quarterback Dennis Grosel twice.
5. Boston College
- Heading into an open weekend — with an intriguing Oct. 16 matchup with NC State on the horizon — Boston College lost for the first time this season: 19-13 at Clemson
6. North Carolina
- It was close for a quarter in Chapel Hill, but UNC used a big second quarter to blitz Duke — winning 38-7 and claiming the Victory Bell. Sam Howell was excellent: 321 yards through the air and three touchdowns. Josh Downs caught eight balls for 168 yards and another touchdown, too.
7. Virginia Tech
- Things set up nicely for Virginia Tech as the Hokies (coming off a bye week) get set to host a Notre Dame team that lost on Saturday to Cincinnati.
- Riding a three-game win streak into the matchup in Winston-Salem, Louisville came this close to defeating Wake Forest. Louisville is a perplexing team in a lot of ways, but the Cards are also pretty good. There’s some upward mobility here for Scott Satterfield’s club.
- Virginia’s defense made just enough plays last Thursday to help bag a road win down in Miami. The Hurricanes converted for only five first downs on 15 third-down plays. Oh, and the Cavaliers got a little bit of special teams luck, too.
Miami missed the game-winning FG in the final seconds. pic.twitter.com/8vtiEoyzfS
— ESPN College Football (@ESPNCFB) October 1, 2021
10. Georgia Tech
- Jeff Sims had his first two pass attempts vs. Pitt intercepted, which seems not great. Georgia Tech’s defense, which has had its moments this season, was clubbed by Pitt, though: the Panthers posted 580 total yards on offense and ran off the final 8:03 game clock — an 11-play drive that closed out on Tech’s 1-yard-line.
- Following a 31-point beatdown at UNC, Duke must regroup quickly for an important measuring-stick game this week — in Durham vs. Georgia Tech.
- Things are moving in the wrong direction, quickly, for Manny Diaz and Miami.
13. Florida State
- In a weekend of ACC football where special teams mattered a great deal, Florida State came out on the right side: Ryan Fitzgerald drilled a 34-yard kick as time expired to give FSU its first win of the season, 33-30 over Syracuse.
— Curt Weiler (@CurtMWeiler) October 2, 2021
- At 3-2, Syracuse currently holds a winning record; however, Dino Babers must get his club ready for a daunting slate of games as conference play heats up over the next month.
|1||Wake Forest||Wake Forest||Wake Forest|
|3||NC State||NC State||NC State|
|5||Boston College||Virginia Tech||Boston College|
|10||Georgia Tech||Georgia Tech||Georgia Tech|