The ACC Arrest Leaders


 

The NFL has tried to take a hard line on player conduct in recent years, but players continue to get into trouble with the law off the field.

We decided to take a look and see how heavily the ACC has contributed to the problem. USA Today has kept an online database of every player arrested in the last 15 years. 

There have been 713 arrests involving NFL players since 2000. Since former ACC players make up 13.5% of current NFL rosters, we’d expect 96 of the arrests to involve ACC products. 

As it turns out, the ACC is slightly above expectations. There have been 109 arrests involving ACC alumni.

Here’s a look at how that compares to other major conferences:

Big 10

129

SEC

122

ACC

109

Pac 12

84

Big 12

76

 Like the ACC, the Big Ten should have about 96 arrests, making that conference far above expectations for legal trouble. The SEC is right in line with expectations, since its proportion of players in the league should contribute to 120 arrests. 

Here’s the number of arrests by ACC school: 

Miami

23

Florida State

14

Clemson

11

Virginia Tech

10

Pittsburgh

9

North Carolina

8

Virginia

7

Louisville

7

Georgia Tech

5

Syracuse

5

NC State

5

Boston College

4

Wake Forest

1

Duke

0

Not only does Miami lead the league in arrests, but the Hurricanes are farthest above expectations, based on the number of players the U has sent ot the NFL: 

More Arrests Than Expected

 

Expected

Actual

Miami

14

23

Florida State

12

14

Clemson

8

11

Virginia Tech

8

10

Pittsburgh

5

9

Louisville

5

7

Syracuse

4

5

Expected Number of Arrests

 

Expected

Actual

North Carolina

8

8

Virginia

7

7

Fewer Arrests Than Expected

 

Expected

Actual

Georgia Tech

6

5

NC State

7

5

Boston College

6

4

Wake Forest

3

1

Duke

2

0

To be fair, arrested doesn’t mean guilty, and the database includes any players who were arrested, even if charges were later dropped or if the player was acquitted at trial. Just over one in four (28%) former ACC-player arrests ended up having their record cleared. Just looking at the remaining 72%, here are the ACC standings: 

Miami

16

Florida State

11

Clemson

8

Pittsburgh

8

North Carolina

6

Virginia Tech

5

Louisville

5

Virginia

4

Georgia Tech

4

Syracuse

4

NC State

4

Boston College

1

Wake Forest

1

Duke

0

Finally, here are the ACC products who show up in the arrest database most often: 

Player

Arrests

Leroy Hill, Clemson

4

Bryant McKinnie, Miami

4 (2 dropped)

Koren Robinson, NC State

3

Gerald Sensabaugh, NC

3 (1 dropped)

Sebastian Janikowski, FSU

3 (2 dropped) 

Would You Like The Rest Of Story?

Become a member and get access to all our articles and features.

Click here to view our memberships/subscriptions options or login if you are already a member.
  Related Stories

Have a story idea or a tip?

Is there a topic you want to see us cover? Fill out the form below and let us know.
  • Please enter the "total" of the numbers